Saturday, June 16, 2007

Anya's battle

On Friday, June 15th Anya was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). She had struggled with a high fever and stomach aches off and on for two weeks. While Anna and the kids were visiting her parents in Ohio she took Anya to the ER. The doctors ran tests on Tuesday, June 12th and asked them to return two days later. They returned on Thursday, June 14th and Anya underwent blood tests. The doctor found several problems with her blood that indicated luekemia. On Friday, June 15th the doctors took a bone marrow sample and confirmed their suspicion: Anya has ALL, the most common form of leukemia in children.
Leukemia is a general term for four different types of blood cancer. In patients like Anya who have ALL certain cells in her bone marrow have become cancerous and cease to function properly. However, they multiply rapidly and soon crowd out the healthy bloodcells. This has a variety of effects on the body as the blood is responsible for so much of the body's activities. And so Anya has begun the greatest battle of her life to this point. It is a battle against leukemia and a battle against what the Bible calls the last enemy; death. We didn't expect Anya to start this battle this soon, but here she is fighting it and we can only look to God for help at this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Steinmetz family,

Hello. When I found out about Anya, my heart sank. When I hear of anyone with Leukemia I immediately think of my mother who passed away with Acute Mylongenous Leukemia in 2001. Anya is constantly in my prayers and I have faith that God will reign in her life and she will overcome this illness. My heart and prayers go out to you and Anya. May God bless you.
Vanessa Purcell
Tulsa, OK

Anonymous said...

Dear Israel and Anna,
I was verry saddened to hear of your incredible battle!
This is Elizabeth Egedus (Lizzi's Mom)
Iwant to tell you what is in my heart for more then a week now:
I bilive that this sickness i on to God's glory. I continualy pray that God will strengten you both and also your parents..
I come from a large family (14) And I will Frw. the massage to my brothers and family for prayer.
God bless you and may it all be to His GLORY!
Elizabeth Egedus

Wendy said...

Dear Israel, Anna, and Anya,
I just want you to know that I am praying for you. My precious daughter fought ALL for 5 1/2 years so I truly understand what it's like to see your loved one go through this. It sounds like you are trusting in our great, mighty and loving God. I know Anya must be a very special young lady; and I know He is holding her in the palm of his more than capable hand! Pastor Decarmo of NC told me about Anya . He was our pastor throughout Jennifer's battle with leukemia. Email me at mytreasure4ever@aol.com if you want to talk to me personally. God bless you and tell Anya she has a friend in NC.
love,
Wendy Ward