Tuesday, May 6, 2008

"Hair" Prayers

In case you didn't get to read the last comment from a friend with two preschool age girls:

"Israel and Anna, Thank you for being vulnerable enough to share the rough times. It really touched my heart to hear Anya's sadness at not being able to have a ponytail - when I we pray at night for her - Katie & Maggie always ask for her to get her hair back."

Sometimes it seems so trivial to me to worry about such things when we have been blessed to still have Anya here. But it has really been emotionally challenging for her not to have hair, especially with the girly girl that she is. On different occasions she has cried and even wept because Esther was able to have her hair put in ponytails or bows, but she wasn't. I've bought Anya headbands & attaching bows, but to her they are not the same.

The other day we went to a garage sale and there was another little girl there with her mom. In front of Anya, the little girl said something to the effect of, "Mom, is that a little girl or a little boy because she doesn't have any hair?" On the way back to the car, I asked Anya if what the girl said had hurt her feelings. Anya replied, "No, it just made me feel funny inside." And my heart hurt for her, whose wouldn't?

And truthfully, it has been hard for me as a mom to see my little girl without hair, face swollen, and off and on out of sorts emotionally. So we will surely party when Anya has her hair back, long enough for bows, pig tails and ponytails!

Michele, Katie, & Maggie: Thanks for your "hair" prayers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys I am sorry that it has been hard for you all. It broke my heart to hear the story about the yard sale thing. I am crying sittling here in class as I read it. I love you guys and miss you lots. I wish I could talk to you on the phone, But I never know when to call? I miss you lots! give the girls and the pumkin a hug for me!
Enid.

Jessica said...

Hey there Guys! This is Jessica Holroyd! I just want you to know that I am praying for Anya...I read her site all the time to see how she is doing! I don't know all that she is going through and at such a young age emotionally but...I want you to tell her something that God told me after my brain surgery and I lost all my facial muscles on my right side. God told me that the side of my face that was missing it's muscles was more beautiful to Him than the other side of my face that actually worked! To God...She is more beautiful now than she has ever been! And....How He sees her is the most important thing and nobody can take that away! Know that all of you are in our prayers!