Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rash Update

Anya's rash has now worsened and become pretty itchy. There are times when she just cries because it itches her so badly. The doctors suggested that we try Benadryl, and it seems to help - especially when we use the higher end of the allowed dosage.

While getting dressed for the day yesterday morning, Anya asked if I could put her hair in pigtails. After I finished, she asked to look in a mirror and for the first time saw the rash covering her nose and cheeks. In a frustrated tone she said, "I look ridiculous with this rash on my face!" As a mom, of course, I tried to reassure that she was beautiful and that the rash didn't distract from that.

Later I shared the experience with Israel and he said that she had also asked him if she still looked pretty with the rash on her face. Of course, he reassured her as well but was now realizing our need to try and use this and similar experiences to teach her that there are times when our external appearance is affected by things like sickness or tragedies, but that we need to keep such things in perspective because our physical appearance is really such a small part of who we are and what we are supposed to be. I was so thankful for that realization!

So later as Anya and I were laying down for an afternoon nap, I took the opportunity to discuss the values of external and internal beauty and how it directly applied to her situation. I reaffirmed that she was a beautiful girl, but that we needed not to be so focused on external appearance knowing that life experiences may negatively affect the way other people think we look but that what is most important is what is in our heart. And I had to take the opportunity to apologize for being inappropriately concerned with some of the physical changes that come with pregnancy and aging and told her that I would try to be a better example in the future. Wow, what a lot to try to explain to a little five year old girl. But I think she got it, and I'm thankful Israel saw this important opportunity!

1 comment:

Christina said...

I had a very similar conversation with my four year old today. Her hair has still not reached her shoulders and as I was fixing it today, she said with such wistfulness, "I can't wait until my hair is long...." It is scary how little girls pick up so quickly a strong desire to be outwardly pretty. Her lack of hair growth comes up a lot in conversation with family members and friends and I think it has caused her to not like her short hair. It makes me sad at my insensitivity. I beg the Lord for wisdom to know how to guide her in this area and also to know how to be a good example myself.