Thursday, August 16, 2007

And a little child shall lead them...

A while back Anya said something that I intended to blog, but I got busy and didn't get around to it. Well, last night she said something else and it reminded me, so I thought I'd go ahead and tell both stories. These two stories relate moments that are hard to capture in words. I wish that all of you could see the strength and joy of this little child who brings us new hope and smiles each morning. Even now as I'm typing this she is snuggling up to me and kissing me. I cannot express what her love means to me. Okay, onto the stories!
A few weeks ago Anna and I were talking in the living room and Anya was playing a few feet away from us. We were talking about God and Anya's future, and Anna was reminded of the Hebrew children (Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego) who made the awesome statement that they believed God could save them from the certain death of the fiery furnace, but that even if He didn't they would not bow down to the idol. In like spirit Anna said that she knew God could heal Anya, but even if He didn't she would still love and serve Him. We didn't know Anya was listening, but when Anna said this Anya looked up and said, "He will." We asked her, "He will what?" She answered simply, "He will heal me," and went back to playing.
Well, last night during our devotions I began weeping as we were singing. Anya tried to comfort me and Anna explained to her that sometimes I get overwhelmed by everything that's going on. Later Anya and I went for a walk down the street and were talking. When we were done we sat on the front step of the house and Anya asked, "Why were you crying daddy?" I said, "Well, sometimes I get sad at God for not doing the things I ask Him. Like healing you from luekemia." She said, "I don't get sad." I asked, "Why not?" She replied, "Because I know He's going to heal me...in His soon time." I started crying again and told her honestly that I wish I had her faith.
I don't know where Anya got the firm assurance that God would heal her of this disease, but I am seeking Him for the same level of trust. If it is His intention to heal her then I certainly want to pray in full confidence that He'll bring healing in His "soon time". Such a nebulous timeframe is not what I would want, but Anya seems to be content with it. Oh that we all had the faith to wait on God to do things in His "soon time". The Bible says that out of the mouths of babes and infants God has perfected praise. I used to wonder what that meant, but lately I've heard some perfect praise from my three year old daughter. May she lead us all to greater faith!